Create and make a lightweight base that is see-through. With crinoline as the base of your headband crown, learn how to manipulate the fabric to your shape.
Denise will teach you how to wire and seal the ends of the crinoline to create a neat clean finish. She will show you how to use these techniques, demonstrating how to use the heat tools and referring to various examples of hats and headdresses.
Skills Workshop: Samples made in class for working with crinoline fabrics
Level: Must have experience of sewing, wiring and use of a crown headdress block
You will learn how to:
• Form the wire and crinoline to a hat block shape and how to shape freestyle
• Sealing crinoline ends to make neat and sewing the crinoline to wire
• Cover the edge for a clean and neat finish. How you can attach braid or lightweight fabrics
• Learn how to make a wired crown shape for your base and attach to the base
Denise is generous with her knowledge and encourages open discussion in the class.
You will receive handouts and photos of the examples, details of suppliers and other options, and an unparalleled experience.
Denise Innes-Spencer: Course tutor, Denise Innes-Spencer is the founder and creative director of The British School of Millinery. Author of ‘Tiara Headdresses’ and writer at large for The Hat Magazine. She has worked for top bridalwear designers Suzanne Neville, Tracy Connup, Jayne Boulton and Ben De Lisi. Denise is a dexterity skills tutor for the Brain Charity Liverpool and a regular visiting lecturer for Liverpool John Moores University. Denise is well equipped to take you through the intricate ways of making delicate beautiful designs with this versatile fabric.
Tools YOU need to bring (marked * are essential):
materials are otherwise included
- *A Bandeau block (it’s not the top you will use, any headband block shape will do)
- *A dolly head
- *Breathable mask, ‘N95’ is the one Denise uses, for mild fumes and it’s a disposable one. It should have a small filter on the front. Purchased from any DIY store.8,99€ for 3 at Leroy Merlin in Barcelona (You cannot participate without your own mask)
- Wire cutters
- Size 6&7 needles
- Tape measure
- Chalk pencil
- Glass headed pins long and short
- Blocking pins for the block
6 hours (30 min. break from 16:30 to 17:00)
1 part: 13:30 -16:30
30 min break
2nd part: 17:00-20:00
Minimum to run: 4 students (might be cancelled if the minimum is not reached)
Maximum to run:10 students
Price includes VAT. If you require an invoice let us know the invoicing details on the form below.
Bookings closed for this event